CONGRATULATIONS to the GULF COAST INVITATIONAL 2015 GRAND CHAMPIONS!
It was an extremely busy weekend for the JA Band, starting with the Jazz Ensemble providing a musical welcome to Raider Night guests to campus on Thursday; a pep rally, pregame performance, and drumline spirit in the stands for the football game Friday; and a very successful first competition at Biloxi HS on Saturday.
In addition to winning every caption in their class in the morning show at the Gulf Coast Invitational, with the guard earning perfect scores in two captions, the JA Band returned to the field for their second performance at 4:45. They had their best show of the year, earning first place in Visual and GRAND CHAMPION honors with the highest overall score of all 19 groups at the event.
Thank you to all the parents who came to support the students at Hillcrest and Biloxi. Special thanks to Ginger Thomas for serving as trip coordinator and head chaperone.
The JA Band returns to competition next weekend at the Groovin' in the Grove invitational at Oak Grove HS on Saturday, October 3. See the schedule update below for timing and other information.
JA BAND BOOSTERS
From Booster President Catherine Arnold:
We need lots of parent volunteers for this week's home game against Prep. If you cannot be there, there are still ways you can support the kids, such as sending in donations. Let us know if you can help in any of the following areas:
1. Pregame Meal for our kids, Friday at 4:30. Lisa Thomas will be in touch with those who have already signed up for this.
2. Concession Stand. Frances Anne Dallaire will be running the show in the concession stand. Please text Lisa Thomas (601-613-3533) if you can work a shift. This is a great money-maker for the band, and we are grateful to the Athletic Boosters for giving us this gig! We want it to go well so they will ask us again.
3. Mat Crew - Halftime Friday and Oak Grove Saturday. Let Terri Fisher (601-572-1732) know if you can help with this. Mat crew 2015 is our best ever!
4. Hosting the Prep band during third quarter. Let Catherine Arnold (601-668-1172) know if you can help serve Papa John's or provide chilled bottled water or plates. Also, let's go out and support the Prep band during their pre-game performance.
5. All band dues and travel fees are past due unless you have made prior payment arrangements with us. Thank you to everyone who has paid in a timely manner. It is greatly appreciated! October invoices will be going out soon.
JA BAND 9/28 - 10/3
MONDAY, 9/28 - Rehearsal 2:10 - 4:00
TUESDAY, 9/29 - Rehearsal 2:10 - 3:00
GUARD 5:30 - 6:15 and 6:30 - 8:00
PERCUSSION 5:30 - 8:00
HORNS 6:30 - 8:00
WEDNESDAY, 9/30 - Rehearsal 2:10 - 4:00
THURSDAY, 10/1 - Rehearsal 2:10 - 4:00
FRIDAY, 10/2 - Rehearsal 2:10 - 3:00
HOME GAME v. PREP
4:30 - Dinner provided in the Band Hall by the Boosters
5:30 - Warmup on band lot in half uniform
Pregame - Watch Prep show performance
HALFTIME - COMPETITION SHOW - Parent help needed
Third Quarter - Reception with visiting Band
SATURDAY, 10/3 - Groovin' in the Grove Competition
9:45 am - Load Bus at JA - half uniform, bring a snack to have on the bus, because it will be a late lunch after the performance.
10:00 - Depart for Hattiesburg
11:30 - Arrive at Oak Grove HS
1:45 - PERFORMANCE - Parent help needed
2:30 - Gatti's Pizza for lunch and games
4:30 - Return to Oak Grove HS, watch performances
8:00 - Ratings
8:30 - Depart Oak Grove, fast food dinner stop
11:00 (approximate) - Arrive JA
Friday, October 9 - Drumline in the stands at East Rankin Academy game. Students will meet at the school.
Wednesday, October 14 - Extra evening rehearsal
Friday - Sunday, October 16-18 - BOA St. Louis Super Regional Trip
Friday, October 23 - Senior Night at Football game
Saturday, October 24 - MAIS Festival at JA - All band families should have received information from Jamie Niemeyer about helping at the festival and purchasing program ads. If you did not receive the information or have further questions, contact Jamie at JNiemeyer@sfbcic.com.
Thank you to all the parents and students who shared photos from the weekend! Here is a sampling, and many more our posted on the band's online photo gallery at this link: FALL 2015